6.28.2008

The joys and pains of a three year old...

Wow, never have I been so mentally and physically exhausted as I have been with a 3 year old! Everyone told me that 3 was much more difficult than 2, but I never believed them. How could it get harder than transitioning to a "big boy" bed, potty training and managing frustration from not being able to communicate. Well, it has! It's a different kind of hard. It's explaining to him why he can't have juice before bed, or go out the front door without mom or dad, it's getting him to use his "big boy vioce" instead of whining, but most importantly, it is teaching him to be a well behaved and respectful child. I have all of these expectations of what my child should be like and some of the time he is. But, most of the time he is not. It is at those times that I fell like the worst mom in the world. What must I be doing wrong to have a 3 year old that won't sit through dinner at a resturaunt, or sit nicely in the cart while I do the grocery shopping? The answer that I have to constantly remind myself is, nothing... HE IS 3! I just have to be thankful for the times that he does just as I want and know, that with our guidance, those times will become more frequent while the bad behavior get to be less.

Although he can be quite the handful I know he is only normal. He is a happy and healthy little boy that wants nothing more than to have fun 24 hours a day. He makes me laugh even when we are having a very tough day and for that I am so grateful. I love this little boy more than words can describe!

No comments: