6.22.2010

Some people!

So, I have debated whether or not to write this post but it has bothered me enough I felt that maybe by writing about it I will feel better.
Saturday started like any other day... after a family breakfast Dan was off to do some work and the boys and I were off to run some last minute errands for Father's Day. We stopped at Bartell's where we unsuccessfully tried to print out some pictures. Next stop office depot for some printer cartridges since we were unsuccessful at our first stop. I gathered my brood and we approached the store. Low and behold the cart that we chose (the only one in sight) had a broken seatbelt, as usual. I placed Alex in it and soon began the fun game of Alex stands, I sit him down and tell him no. We searched the 3 AISLES of printer cartridges all the while playing this very fun game. Finally we found the right one and headed to the checkout stand. In the 3 minutes that I was waiting in line I am pretty sure that Tyler asked me if he could have 5 different boxes of candy (thank you store designers for placing those boxes of candy so conveniently) and Alex stood up no fewer than 3 times. Finally it was our turn. We rolled up to the clerk and I placed my stuff on the counter... and Alex stands up AGAIN. This time he and I had both had enough, I sat him down once again while STERNLY telling him "no, we don't stand up in the cart", I am pretty sure Alex smirked at me this time. In walks lady (not having been in the store for more than 10 seconds). Ohh, my body is shaking just thinking about it. Lady decides to start in on me telling that if I ever treat my children like that again she would have them taken away from me. I politely asked her to mind her own business. Me, being a very unconfrontational person was in a state of shock and really had no idea what to say. She continues with "I am the Attorney General and I can have your children taken away from you." Fabulous lady, I am sure that Rob McKenna appreciates you impersonating him. She continued on but at this point I was so hurt, mad, upset and in disbelief that I have no idea what she was saying. This is when I, physically shaking, leave the store once again asking her to mind her own business and not tell me how to raise my children. I grabbed Alex, gave him a huge hug, told Tyler that I love him to the moon and back and loaded my children safely into the car. I quickly got on the phone (not while driving of course), and called Dan sobbing. He wanted me to go back, to get her name and to give her a piece of my mind... I did not, but I wish I had now.
I have had three days now to play this over and over in my mind. I did not, have never and would never hurt my children yet some how this lady has caused me to question my every parenting decision. If I had it to do over again I would say something and it would sound a little like this...
"I am sorry mam, you seem to have no idea who I am. I am a women who prides myself in my children. Who strives everyday to raise my children right, teaching them about family, faith and love. I am a nurse that goes to work each day FOR children. Some of those days are spent caring for children who have suffered life altering, sometimes life ending, injuries at the hands of their parents. Telling my 13 month old child sternly to sit down in the cart is in no way child abuse. Would you rather me allow him to stand up and proceed to fall out of the cart and suffer a head injury? I am pretty sure that would be irresponsible.
Also, I am pretty sure you are not THE Attorney General since I am pretty sure THE Attorney General is a male and his name is Rob McKenna. So please lady, take your non-childbearing, ill- mannered, non-discipline preaching, lying, hippie self and get out of my face while I discipline my child "
Let's hope for this lady sake I never run into her on the street!
Photobucket

4 comments:

Loosy said...

There are crazies out there. I'm one of them, but not that kinda crazy. I'm so sorry you had to experience that. I once had a man come up to me at Greenlake and tell me that my son was too young to be in the jogging stroller (6 months). I smiled, told him "Please sir. I'll worry about my child. You worry about yourself." And then covered the stroller with a blanket so no one could judge me again.

... said...

Horrible experience! That's totally one of those times when I would re-play the scenario over and over in my mind, thinking of what I should have said.
Don't let it get to you. She probably doesn't have children, and couldn't possibly understand what it's like to cart 2 of them around and keep them safe the whole time.
I had someone approach me at Greenlake too!
The sun was shining on Simone (gasp!) and this crazy lady yelled at me about it. I just kept walking.
Sorry I wrote an essay here.

malia said...

I want to smack that stupid lady! Guaranteed she has no kids. Just let it roll off your back knowing we all thing you're a spectacular mom and your kids couldn't be luckier! Let's get together...

Maria said...

I'm so sorry! that lady is a lunatic and if she does have kids... well, unfortunately they will be nuts too (and prob in our unit at some point after falling out a window). Lucky for her I was not in the store. I am not as reserved. I guarantee that she would have left with the in cartridge up her patoot! people need to mind their own bees wax! You are a great lady and a stupendous mom!