7.22.2011

NAM day 1

Our appointment was at 1:30 and we arrived with a sleepy well fed baby, thinking that would give us the greatest chance of success. My mom went with us for support and my dad was nice enough to keep Alex for this appointment. Once in the clinic we set Graham down in the boppy (love it how they use a boppy in the dentist chair for the infants). He immediately opened his big blue eyes and glanced all around. Soon enough Dr. K fitted the appliance and that was the last of happy Graham. After a few adjustments and teaching me how to tape it, it was in for good... and we heard about it! Graham was not happy and neither was momma. I hate seeing him so upset! I had the inclination to take him and run out the doors but we had another appointment to go, we were stuck! During the appointment Dr. K cut diwn a few of G's binkies to fit with the appliance. This kid LOVES his binkies, surely they would help us get through this. But nope, this kid was not having it and getting madder by the second. On to the next thing. I figured I may as well feed him to see if I could calm him. I was actually eager to try since so many had told me that nursing may be even easier with the NAM. Yeah, well that was a lie! He was having nothing of it and it was seeming literally impossible for him to even be able to latch. I can see how it may be easier to feed by bottle, but with the button in the middle of his face it was literally impossible to get anything in his mouth. I thought maybe in the comfort if our home we will find a position that would work.
Soon enough our craniofacial nurse checked in and quickly let us head home.
At home things were no better. We tried feeding again to no avail. That's when I promptly removed the NAM And fed the poor kid. He was exhausted. He ate until his heart was content and he was out. I slipped the NAM back in with only a few whimpers and rocked him back to sleep. Ahhhh! A couple hours later we did it all again and he was out for the night around 10.
One day down and who knows how many to go. It can only get better from here right?

Graham getting his NAM.

Graham with his perma-frown.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor baby g. I feel bad I talked to you and had no idea that this was his dr appt. Sorry!
- the hofmeister

Jen said...

I cannot tell you HOW many times I've wanted to run out of doctors appointments {or the NICU...ha!!!} with my girls. :)

It's so wonderful keeping up with you. Graham is SO adorable, as all your boys are!!!

Been praying for you guys.