1.30.2011

Perfect

I have begun to question the true meaning of perfect. I mean really, what or who in the world is truly perfect? And how is one person to say that any one thing is more perfect than another? To me, my children are perfect. No, they are not the most well behaved, the most polite or the smartest, but to me they are just the way that God wanted them to be… perfect.

Last week we got some news that rocked our world. Our perfect little world, for a moment, seemed all but perfect. We went into our 18 week ultrasound more worried about the gender of this tiny human being more than anything else. Well, no, the gender was not what we had expected but by the end of the ultrasound none of that mattered. After a very long and meticulous scan, the doctor came back and informed us (with not such great bedside manner might I add) that our little guy was perfect in ever way but one. He had a defect called cleft lip and possibly cleft palate. She promptly walked out the door with not so much as a caring touch on the shoulder or word of condolence. I am pretty sure that at this point the tech started to inform us of what would happen next but I sure as heck heard nothing more than “your baby is NOT perfect”.

The days following have been full of appointments, scans and tears, lots of tears. Each day is a new beginning. Each day is a little easier than the last. Each day I am getting more comfortable with the idea that my sweet little boy will be born with a defect that does not define him and does NOT make him any less perfect than any other baby.

Thursday had in store for us a meeting with the genetic counselor. After reviewing the ultrasound data and our history there is a very low risk that the cleft is related to a more serious chromosomal abnormality. We declined to have the amniocentesis done simply because the information provided from it, which is most likely nothing, would not change our plans for this baby. There is no way around the fact that we are going to have to live with some uncertainty in all this. Ultrasound technology has it’s limits so we may not know until the baby is born what the extent of the clefting will be despite scheduled follow up exams. This, we are both learning to live with.

In all of this we are learning that life is precious. That this little guy was destined for our family. That in every challenge there is light at the end of the tunnel. That what you once may have defined as perfect can change. And that love will conquer all!

I know that this process will be ongoing until well after this little guy is born. We will have our good days and our bad days but we will get through them. We will get through them with the support and love of all those around us, family and friends. We will get through this and in the end we will have not 2 but 3 healthy, beautiful and PERFECT boys. How can we ask for anything more than that?


Photobucket

10 comments:

malia said...

Right on, Jenn! I can't wait to meet this little guy and I REALLY hope you name him +#$%&^@ (are you telling everyone?) I obviously love it!

fiona westover said...

Wow! Jenn. Amazing how you put it all in to words. Congratulations on this 3rd little boy. I'm so happy for you!

Meg said...

Jenn, I've been thinking of you like crazy. There is NOTHING in the world that can prepare you to be on the 'other' side...it's the single most awful, gut, wrenching thing in the world to find out your babe is not 'perfect'. But you're absolutely right...there is no 'perfect'. And I can promise you this, this babe is going to be born into so much love and adoration that you probably won't even remember what all the fuss was about in the first place. The Bugbee boys are taking over. Hadley will be thrilled that she has not two, but three to chose from;).

Nicole said...

Jenn, I don't even know you but I am a friend of Meg who works with you. My son was born with a cleft lip that we did not know about and it is scary, but you know what you will get through it and your little boy will come into this world in such a perfect way.
It is amazing what the doctors can do to make the repairs.
I am thinking of you and if you have any questions at all please get my info from Meg.I would be more then happy to share my experience.
My son is healthy and is perfect in everyway that is important to us.

Heidi Bruch said...

What a pefectly honest and brave post. He is perfect and God only gives us what we can handle. What an amazing family he has...the ups and downs will only make a sweet family like yours even closer.

bugbeefamily said...

Thanks everyone for all the prayers. Everyday is getting easier, that is for sure!

Joia Poort said...

Jenn,

First off, congratulations on your 3rd son! Secondly, what a well written post. I'm sorry that your world was rocked with this news, but I will hold strong that the outcome will be "perfect". A great friend of mine has a 2 year old who was born with a cleft palatte. They didn't even figure it out until about a year ago. She had surgery and she's talking up a storm and you'd never know anything ever was different. You're such a great mom.

Kelly D said...

Hi, Jennifer! Michael and I are so happy that you will have another addition to your family. :) This post really hit home for me and I appreciate your strength in sharing this. We had a similar ultrasound experience with Phoebe which lead to the scariest, saddest, but most hopeful days of our lives. This little guy is so lucky to already be so loved by his family. Hopefully we'll be able to meet him on one of your trips to CA! Take care!

Anonymous said...

We found our our baby boy has a cleft lip and palate a few weeks ago, and your posts have given me so much valuable information. Not to mention strength and insight. In large part thanks to reading Grahams' Cleft Journey (and other posts), I've gone from a place of mourning the baby I expected us to have, to a place of confidence and excitement for our own Cleft journey ahead.

You're an inspiration-- and so is Graham! What beautiful and spirited children you have, and what a great job you do capturing their personalities in your writing. Good for you for finding the time.

Anonymous said...

I want to thank you so much for sharing your journey! At our recent 2 trimester sonogram, we found out that our little boy has a cleft lip. We won't know exactly what to expect until he arrives this August. The beginning of your journey was very similar to ours and I'm so thank you have found your blog. We found out 2 days ago and after reading your blog, I feel stronger and more confident about our journey.
Congratulations on your little girl and know that you are admired for what you've done on this site.
Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.