4.15.2011

Update on the littlest one

This journey has not been easy, I will say that. The questions of "why me?", "why my baby?" creep up when I least expect them and usually brings about some tears. This is just on the bad days. The good days are filled with a sense of peace and meaning. I continually remind myself that this little guy was meant for our family. I wouldn't change him for the world!
A few weeks ago we were able to get a glimpse of the little one. The similarities to his brothers are uncanny. For the first time it really made me giddy at the thought of having three little boys. To start off he is BIG. 86th percentile big! Way to go little man! His cleft, however, is not. Yeah! It appears that there is minimal palate involvement and his entire soft palate is intact. Although it is not the best possible result, I am extremely happy that this could mean he may be a successful breast feeder. From the beginning I have prepared myself for the worst. That also meant preparing myself that I may not be able to feed him as I did so successfully with Tyler and Alex. So, this news is huge for me. Although, we will not truly know the extent until he is born, I do have a renewed hope and right now, I'll take it!
We also got to meet with the Craniofacial team at Seattle Children's Hospital. I am still getting used to the idea that I am going to be on the opposite end of the care being given. However, we are extremely excited to be working with such a wonderful team of doctor's, nurses and social workers. Our relationship will be a long one as the journey will last well into his teenage years. We feel blessed that we live so close to so many doctor's that are so well known for caring for children with cleft lip and palates.
The plan for our little guy is a lip repair done sometime between 4-6 months depending on how big he is and how well he is growing. The palate is then repaired at about a year of age. From there it is a wait and see. Some children are able to get fabulous results and won't need any more surgeries and some will have up to 5. This is what we know for now. The rest will only unfold with time.

We love you already little one!
Photobucket

5 comments:

Joia Poort said...

He's beautiful and I definitely see the resemblance to his brothers! Sounds like you have a good plan and definitely the best care. My wish is that it's mild, the treatments work effectively and the first time, and that you get to breast feed!

Jon & Kathryn said...

Little Bugbee is lucky to have such a strong, determined, and loving momma!!!

Lisa said...

I think he looks like his big brothers! You are all in our prayers, Jen.

Anonymous said...

I did not know tyler as a little guy but se lots of alex! You are a wonderful mom and he is a lucky guy. Only 4 more days!!!!!
Shannon

The Johnson Family 5 said...

I can definitely relate to your feelings of "why me?" He is already so lucky to have been blessed to be your child. I can't wait to follow his journey!