1.03.2010

Snowballs, or something like it

So I got a little Martha Stewart bug in me the other day. I came across a recipe for Snowballs on another blog and thought I would try them. They were cute, tasty and looked relatively simple. This is what they look like
*photo courtesy of McMama*

and this was the recipe
First, baked a chocolate cake, following the directions on the box.
After baking it, cut the cake into six huge chunks and chop it up in a food processor to a fine crumble.
Then, make up a batch of cream cheese frosting.
Combine:
8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
6 T. butter, softened
1 t. vanilla
1T. cream (or milk)
3 cups powdered sugar

add the cream cheese frosting, a half cup at a time, to the cake crumbles (until all the cake is moistened with the frosting and is moldable like dough), combining well with a spatula.
form the cake mixture into balls, put them on a plate and refrigerated them.
While they are refrigerating, melt 2 bags of white chocolate chips in a double broiler. A microwave can be used on medium power if a double broiler is not available.
You can add different colored food coloring to the chocolate if you desire.
Next, place the cake balls on wooden dowels and dip into the melted chocolate, turning to coat. Add sprinkles and WA-LA! There you have it, snowballs.

Well, if only it were that simple...
Baking the cake, yeah I can do that. Crumbling the cake, got that. I think the part where it says to melt chocolate is the first time I ran into trouble
I would suggest using the broiler if at all possible.
Ok, on to the dipping part... well apparently I either did not add enough frosting or did not refrigerate long enough because my cake balls definitely did not want to stay on the dowels.
Then when they stayed on they looked like this
I decided it was time to try the double broiler but by that time I had run out of the white chocolate chips and had to use dark chocolate.
Finally, two hours (I had even baked the cake the day before) and a huge mess later, this was my finished product
Not quite like what I had pictured yet, tasty nonetheless!
I ended up having to place some of them upside down because we ran out of mugs to put them in.

*recipe courtesy of McMama*
Photobucket

No comments: